About Me

My photo
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
I am a stay at home mom..now that is! February 19th, 2007 I was involved in a car accident while on vacation in Florida. I awoke in ICU to find out that my only two children Annemarie age 3 and Michael age 5 did not make it. Scrapbooking became such a big part of my life. It helped fill a void that I desperately needed to fill. Our therapist suggested that I take up scrapbooking as a way to memorialize my children, little did she know! So I took that and ran with it.I became obsessed with scrapping and took over the second largest room in my house. Because of my injuries I couldn't go out and get a job, I just scrapped!I printed out 2,000 photos and my journey began. I have made albums for family members and layouts to decorate my craft room. We thought we were done having kids but who expected this tragedy??? I just gave birth in June 2009 to two beautiful baby girls Mia Anne and Gianna Marie named after their brother and sister.I swore that I would keep up with their albums so I won't become overwhelmed so we will see how that works out! My profile picture is the last family picture that was taken of all of us.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"Rags to Riches"














I am a hoarder. There I said it! I have piles of boxes, jars and tins all over my craftroom. The other day I finished up a box of rice and looked at it and said hhhmmmm....My hubby was like "You are not going to keep that are you?" I told him I most certainly was. Well today was a milestone for me because I actually used something that I have been hoarding out of my stash. I constantly pick things up at the store and say "Oh I could do this...Oh I could do that" but you know what it just ends up in a pile in my craftroom. So I am going to try to turn over a new leaf and ACTUALLy use the things I save. Since I am in the middle of a remodel on my craftroom I figured I would make some little tool caddies to put on my desk.

I spray painted the box black to cover up the writting. The funny part of that is I didn't plan to and I just decided to try it quickly so of course I wasn't prepared the right way. I had to do 2 layers since I dropped it and caught it putting a big hand print in it (you can see the smudge above). Making a long story short it was all over my hands. I scrubbed and scrubbed and got most of it off but not all of it. Well right before my hubby left for work we were sitting down eating and I had just came back from changing the girls diapers. All of a sudden he looks at me completely horrified as I am shoveling food in my mouth and says "WHAT is all over your hands???" LOL...he thought it was poop! I couldn't get out the spray paint from all the creavices in my nails etc. so it was still stuck there...oh well!

Anyways I based this little project off of a couple of challenges. The challenge over at AllSorts was to alter or recycle something. This challenge was right up my alley!! I had all of these beautiful papers picked out and then I decided to make it completely out of scraps..it was called Rags to Riches afterall! Plus it always makes my heart flitter when I use my scraps!! The challenge over at
The Cuttlebug Spot was to celebrate their colors which are green, pink and black. I did the color scheme around that. I used my Cuttlebug to cut out the Nesties for the bottom two layers and emboss them with my Swiss dot folder. I made a pin wheel flower out of scraps. I started out using some scraps that I normally would use for a trial run but then I decided to keep it because it matched pretty well. I stamped the solid background paper with my PK-101 Medium Polka Dot Print stamp. Added some MS adhesive ribbon along the top and bottom edge, mounted the flower in the center and gave that some dimension by using pop dots.

Not bad for something I was gonna throw away!

The challenge over at The Pink Elephant was pastels so I thought this fit it nicely. I also entered it into the Everybody_Art and
papertake Weekly Spring Challenges.



13 comments:

  1. funny story, and a great save for that box.
    I'll remember that next time I change a diaper.
    Carol N<><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea hun! I knew there was a reason for all the boxes under my table LOL
    Hugs,
    Teri x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely usage of the old box. Well done. Thank you for joining the Allsorts challenge this week and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW what a great idea Lisa!!! And it turned out so pretty!! Thanks for the inspiration! I have all these plastic Crystal Lite containers (round and now oval shaped) ... any ideas???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, from one sistah to anohter, I'm a hoarder too! I love what you did with the box. Very clever and such a useful little item in your scrap room. So see, it pays to hoard!!!! lol...
    Blessings,
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic Idea,
    Thanks for joining in at ALLSORTS this week Fleur xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful box, fab flower.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, definitely come to my house. This is awesome. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab craft caddy and great story I love the way you have embelished it

    Thanks for playing at Allsorts

    Emma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely rags to riches story Lisa. Love the outcome even more! Smashing box that will look amazing on your desk.
    I've just been catching up on all your projects since I last visited. You have done some fabulous stuff my friend.
    I'll be back again soon.
    Love Viv xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. fun useful project - love it.
    Ann xxx
    TPE

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic altered project and beautifully embellished! Thanks for joining in the fun with PTW :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete